Yesterday a beautiful, educated 22 year old woman was brought into our emergency room on the edge of passing out. Her blood pressure was quite low. We put in two IV's with wide open fluids, did a pregnancy test which was positive, got an ultrasound which showed her abdomen was full of fluid -- blood. The ambulance came right away and set out with her for the referral hospital -- if she was to live, she needed emergency surgery for hemorrhage -- likely due to ruptured ectopic pregnancy.
Before and after the ambulance left with her, I spent at least an hour on the phone, making at least 10 phone calls to seemingly every part of the referral hospital, trying to find a gynecologist accepting emergencies. I spent many minutes on hold for various providers who never got to the phone, called again after many busy signals, never found a doctor to tell about this patient headed for their hospital. I was finally able to give the patient's name and story to gyn secretary at the other hospital, and she said they'd attend to the young woman.
Sometimes people die tragically. It is painful to be there when it happens. She probably died, but I don't know that for sure.
I have been reflecting on spiritual teachings as I prepare for another work day today, and asking to be filled with lovingkindness, for myself and for others.
I am laughing now after reading a quote from Woody Allen,
1 comment:
Hello, Dear Anne. Thinking of you on your new adventure. Thank you for sharing the story. I was in South Africa Jan 2005 for thesis research (Capetown, Port Elizabeth, and Jo'berg then Harare, Zimbabwe). Blessings to you each day. Love from Chicago - Shenandoah
Post a Comment